Boy do I have some exciting news to share with all of you. Yesterday, our application to be part of the Fair Trade Federation (FTF) finally went through. We’re finally a proud member of this great organization!
The application process has taken quite a long time to process. But we’re over the moon to be a part of this amazing organization.
What Is the Fair Trade Federation?
The Fair Trade Federation is a North American trade organization that strengthens and supports organizations who support fair trade. They maintain a strict set of guidelines that all members have to uphold.
For instance, as a member of FTF Earth Divas has to do the following:
- All Earth Divas suppliers must have long-term trade partnerships, rather than “one time” partnerships. This will ensure economic stability and provide greater opportunities for workers.
- All our artisans/suppliers must be paid promptly, and fairly, for their work.
- Earth Divas must try, whenever possible, to create economic opportunities for our artisans/suppliers.
- Earth Divas must develop transparent relationships with our suppliers.
- Earth Divas must support safe and empowering work conditions for our artisans.
- Earth Divas will not support, in any way, child trafficking or child labor.
- Earth Divas will support environmental stewardship in our business practices.
- Earth Divas will respect the cultural identity of all our artisans/suppliers.
As you can see, it’s a lot to live up to, which is why the application process takes so long! But we’re honored and humbled to finally be a member of this worthy endeavor, and we’re excited to continue to meet the high standards of FTF.
Filed under: Fair Trade News on November 30th, 2010